Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Things That Go Bump in the Night

Ghost behind House There’s a ghost in our house. I swear. The hubs and I have noticed some strange happenings going on for awhile now and at first we just dismissed them as the normal creaks and moans that an old house makes, except that we don’t live in an old house, we live in a fairly new apartment. Hmmm. Then we dismissed them as quirks within the electricity, and while that one is possible, it got harder to dismiss these “nothings” when we started to see things like shadows move about from one side of the room to the other, while we sat in our recliners side by side each other watching them move (who’s presence by the way was totally interrupting an episode of Grey’s Anatomy, so inconsiderate). Anyway, neither previous dismissive explanation could justify that one.

Initially it started off small, like hearing odd noises coming from the back bedrooms like something had been knocked off the night stand. They were pretty frequent, a couplGhost 131e of times a week and eventually they evolved into louder noises, sort o  f sounding like something had been thrown against the wall. On more than one occasion me and the hubs would jump up and go running to see what it was, only to find everything in it’s proper place. After a while, whenever we heard these noises we’d simply look at each other, raise our eyebrows and then turn our attention back to the TV or our laptop screens, or whatever we had been doing prior to the noise. Still the noises of unknown origin continue.

Then came seeing things. One time I was in my bedroom putting away folded laundry into our dresser when I saw in my peripheral vision my hubs walk out of his man cave room and down the hallway. I could even hear the sound of his bare feel hitting our faux wood flooring as he walked. I thought this  was odd because he almost never walks around barefooted and because I thought he’d been in the bathroom not the man cave room, but I quickly shrugged it off, and didn’t think about it for more than half a nanosecond. Shortly thereafter having finished putting up the laundry, I went to Ghost Gray put the basket back into the laundry room across the hall, when I realized he had been in the bathroom. How did I know this, because HE WAS STILL THERE! Icy chills went up and down my spine at that realization. What or who had I seen walking past our bedroom down the hall, I don’t know? Again, I dismissed this as my eyes playing tricks on me. 

I could’ve easily convinced myself of faulty eyesight being the culprit, if my very rational and logical hubs hadn’t started seeing things too. I found him saying more and more, “Did you see that?” The “that” he was referring to usually consisted of  shadows out of the corner of his eyes walking across our hallway, or across the doorway between the kitchen and the living room, or like the one I spoke of above, moving across our living room. The thing is, that even the obvious ones are not so obvious, because the unexplainable is never obvious and your first reaction is always to dismiss it.

Ghost Little Gray Then there was the time when I was emptying the dishwasher and something tugged at my shirt. I’m talking a genuine tugging like someone trying to get my attention. That one made me stand up straight and take notice of my surroundings, and it definitely got my attention.

Oh, and then there was the time I went to shut off my AC (it’s like a small window unit, but instead of being in the   window it’s mounted into the wall) and it started freaking out beeping off and on uncontrollably like it was having some sort of combination epileptic seizure with Turret’s outburst. This lasted for a whole minute straight, which when something like that is happening, seems like forever!

And of course, let me not forget to tell you about the mysterious scratch my hubs woke up with one morning. He had gone to bed the night before with his face in normalGhost Boo   order. In the morning he awoke to find a scratch across his cheek. He’s a chronic nail biter and therefore has none to speak of, and doubly therefore could not have done it himself. As for me being the source, while yes there are definitely times I’d like to scratch his eyes out because even though he’s a great husband, he is after all still a man, it wasn’t me. My back had been hurting a lot that night so I slept on my recliner. Hmmm.

There are many more examples I could offer, but I think by now you’re getting the jist of the situation. Any one of these occurrences by themselves is innocuous and given enough time, explanations could be found for all of them.  However, if you put them all together, they can appear to be something else entirely. Also, I want to interject that thus far, while some of these goings on have been very strange (to say the least), I’ve never felt in danger or the presence of any Ghost Happydistinct negative energy around me. So if there is something here, I believe it’s harmless and merely trying to communicate with us in the only way it can.

There’s a running joke right now between me and my hubs about our ghost and my tendency to be neurotic. In the window above and behind our television I have curtains in the  form of two panels. It is my biggest pet peeve when these panels come apart at the middle exposing the curtain rod underneath. I’ll be sitting in my beloved recliner, reading, or watching TV, or on my laptop, completely engrossed in whatever I’m doing, then I’ll look up and see they’ve come apart in the middle. All I can see is that blasted curtain rod glaring at me. I have to immediately stop whatever I’m doing so that I can get up and fix it. I must do this five times a day. The joke is that our ghost, having observed my neurotic behavior, now pulls them apart just to Ghost Bluishhave a few laughs at my expense. :)

Additionally, my neighbor/friend Reese has a friend who lives a few blocks over and she too has had similarly strange experiences. I wonder what the history for this area is, as Hawaii has a lot of legends and myths surrounding the supernatural. There were a lot of battles fought on this island, and the island isn’t all that big, so it’s theoretical that something could’ve happened here. Who knows, anything’s possible.

You know how when you’re watching a scary movie and inevitably the big-boobed-blonde goes to investigate the inexplicable noise she hears and you scream, “Don’t yGhost Trioou stupid crack ho! He’s just waiting to kill you!” Then you turn to your friend who you’re watching the movie with (because like you’d ever watch a scary movie alone) and say, “What a  stupid biatch! I would never go check on a suspicious noise alone, on a dark and stormy night! Duh.” Too bad real life isn’t as obvious as a scary movie. In real life we don’t expect Michael Meyers to be the source of that noise in the other room, instead (much like Ghost Scared big-boobed-blonde) we go and investigate it. There have  been a couple of times as of late when I go to see what’s making that strange sound from the back of the apartment that I have stopped and thought, “Am I the big-boobed-blonde I so despise?” This is hilarious because I’m neither blonde nor big-boobed, but I am beginning to think people in horror movies aren’t quite as stupid as I previously thought. It’s all about perspective.

So, do you believe in ghosts? Or, do you think the happenings in my house are just random, innocuous Ghost Wavingoccurrences with justifiably explanations? Personally, I do believe in ghosts and I also know that I have an overactive imagination, but you know what they say, “real life is stranger than fiction.” After putting the pieces together for over a year, I’ve come to one conclusion, there’s a ghost in my house. I swear. :)

3 comments:

That One Mom said...

I totally believe in ghosts. I watch entirely too much Ghost Hunters and Ghost Hunters International to not! Kinda creepy, kinda exciting! What are you going to do?

MamaOtwins+1 said...

I believe! I wonder if your building was the location of something in the past and you and your stuff are in the way.
Or your wonderfully hubby made some old lady ghost mad with his man room and she attempted to scratch him.

Blogger Rise said...

I never seen a ghost but I do not hope to see them better to see hot pretty girls then ghost :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form