Thursday, September 3, 2009

I met an Angel . . .

Angel with Blk Background Last week I met an angel.  It’s that simple.  I’ve been trying to to write this post now for a week, desperately wanting to convey every detail of the experience in the most perfect of ways, but nothing sounded good enough.  So, I decided to simply tell the story and let it speak for itself.

Last Tuesday I worked at the Thrift Shop and then I had to teach an Army Family Team Building class at the NCO Academy for the spouses of the soldiers going through the Warrior Leadership Course.  During work my hubs notified me that our one an only vehicle (a 98 GMC Jimmy) was not starting.  The battery was as dead as Lindsey Lohan’s career.  I had just bought a new battery for it last summer before we shipped it over to Hawaii, so this news was a little upsetting to say the least .  My neighbor/great friend, Reese, who happened to be volunteering at the Thrift Shop that day offered to take me home, and knowing of my teaching obligation even offered to drive me to and from the NCO Academy (she’s such an awesome friend).  I accepted her offer, and began to think of ways we could create money using smoke and mirrors to fix the Jimmy.

After work we rushed home, so I could hurry up and change and book it to the NCO Academy for my class which was in an hour.  By the time we arrived back at our respective homes  (her apartment is directly under ours), my hubs had gotten the Jimmy started, and said it was running well enough to drive.  Not wanting to inconvenience Reese by making her make the 15-20 minute drive to the NCO Academy, then wait for me to give my class, I opted to drive myself. 

My claAngel precious momentsss was the last one of the day, so I stayed after to help clean up and talk to my friend Cat.  One of the other  instructors was there too, her name was Kiesha.  She and I clicked instantly.  She radiated charisma, confidence and wisdom, but she was also funny and sweet at the same time.  All of these together made a striking first impression and before I knew it we were talking as if we’d been life long friends who'd known each other for years.

I asked the girls to wait until I started my car just in case there were any residual rebellions from my battery, after all it never hurts to err on the side of caution.  Turns out I was justified in my concern.  The Jimmy was once again dead.  Peculiarly I had lights but the engine was quiet. 

When I initially tried to open the hood, I couldn’t figure it out so I called my hubs and he said to give it a hit right on top and near the front.  So in a move similar to Fonzie on Happy Days, I clenched my hand into a fist and in one smooth motion hit the front of the hood, just like that it popped open.  Cat and I laughed hysterically for a minute, and then began to get to work. 

I had jumper cables so we started to hook them up to my battery.  Too bad Cat has a beamer she bought in Germany and we couldn’t even find the appropriate places on her battery to connect the cables to, and Kiesha has a super charged V8 engine that took up the entire front of her Lincoln Town Car so her battery was actually in the trunk and so not the easiest to get to.  I should also mention none of us had ever actually jumped a car before.  With the three of us going back and forth between my hood and Kiesha’s trunk, looking into each like with puzzled expressions on our faces, and holding the jumper cables like they were poisonous snakes ready to attack at any moment. we sort of looked like a scene from a movie, a comedy no less.

Luckily, the NCO Academy’s Sgt Major happened to drive by at just that moment, and he stopped to help us.  Normally I really hate having to be rescued by a man, wanting always to be able to take care of myself, but at that moment, all I really wanted was my car to start so I could go home, and I was smart enough to realize that wasn’t going to happen of my own accord.

He hooked up the cables, and with great anticipation I turned the key over and absolutely nothing happened.  Well, except for a few click, click, clicks coming from the ignition.  I might have the knowledge of cars equivalent to George Bush in foreign affairs, but even I knew that wasn’t good.  This scenario repeated itself for almost a whole half hour, and I was really beginning to sweat with worry, playing over in my head a worst case scenario of having to leave the JimmyAngel with Star and Blk Background there, catch a ride home with one of the girls, and then, well and then I had absolutely no idea how I was going to get the situation resolved.  Given the current tiny balance of our checking account and my payday two days away, it was at this point that I really began to get frustrated, stressed, sad, angry and beyond worried all at once.  That’s a lot of emotion to feel after having already had such a long day!  Just when I was beginning to think I would need to find a brown paper bag to blow into to prevent me from hyperventilating, the first miracle of the day happened when I half heartedly turned the keys and the engine roared to life.  I was so happy I could have cried!

We thanked the Sgt Major, and while he was pulling off the jumper cables, Cat turned to me and said, “I would drive straight home and leave it parked until you can get it fixed.”  I told her, that would be a great idea if it weren’t our only form of transportation. 

She responded by saying, “Then drive it straight to post and buy a new battery.”  I replied that I couldn’t do that either as we barely had enough money in our checking account to buy a gallon of milk, let alone a new battery.  I was just hoping my hubs would be able to either “fix” it until my payday or work some sort of voo-doo mumbo jumbo over it to make it run until payday. 

That’s when Kiesha turned to me and said, “Let’s go get you a new battery.”  Of course I immediately said thank you  (while simultaneously tearing up because it was so sweet of her to offer) but no, there was no way I could let her do that, I mean I’d only known her for less than an hour! 

Then, she calmly said, “Just follow me to post, we’re goAngel blessing little girl from aboveing to get you a battery.”  She spoke with equal parts concern and conviction, and in that moment, with the chaos of the day and the exhaustion that went along with it tugging at me from every angle, and having absolutely no alternative in mind, I simply looked at her and said, “Okay.”  Here enter the water-works.  I couldn’t help it, I totally started bawling.  She gave me a hug and said “Just receive it.”  Her kindness and generosity were overwhelming and so I cried harder into her arms. 

I told her I would pay her back as soon as I got paid, and she said, “No ma’am.”  Even though I’d only known her for a very short time, I knew she was the kind of woman who would stand steadfast in her decisions, so rather than argue I said, “Well, we’ll just see about that,” and we both laughed. :)

We drove to post and she bought me a new battery.  While we were waiting we talked.  It was one of the best talks I’ve ever had, and I talk a lot, so that seriously says something.   She is one of the most extraordinary people I’ve ever met. 

My hubs and I had so much to do the rest of the week, and it was the best feeling in the world to know that each time we got in our car, it would start and get us safely to our next destination.  A peace of mind that is truly priceless.

In a lifetime, you’ll meet lots of “cool” people, but every now and then you’ll meet someone who changes your life, and Kiesha is one of those people.  Her absolute selfless natureAngel with be an angel sign and generous spirit touched me (and my hubs) in such a profound way, that it’s impossible to completely put it into words.  Needless to say that day I was inspired.  Inspired to be a better me, to achieve a higher standard of living and to love and give in ways I had not previously known. 

Angel african american I once heard a quote that says “Along the way, God puts Angel’s in your path to help you if you let them.”  Kiesha was my Angel.  Thank you Kiesha!

8 comments:

Lakisha Canady-Toussaint said...

Angela, you are a remarkable woman. I am glad to have had the opportunity to be a blessing in your life. You are deserving of a life that is filled with goodness and kindness. May the richness and fullness of God's Love, Power, Peace and Joy manifest in your life forever! With Love and Appreciation for you and your Family, ~Kisha~

Anonymous said...

All I can say is "That's my Kisha!!" Thank you Angela for the wonderful story about my lovely bride. Take care and GOD bless.

CPT Toussaint
Afghanistan

Anonymous said...

For you/catous Matthew 25:25-36 in all things done in caring for all your family over the years (for HIS Glory)-many blessings

Anne said...

great story! we are all in need at one point or another!!

Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I've really loved browsing your weblog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I am hoping you write once more very soon!

Feel free to visit my website gohima.com

Anonymous said...

When someone writes an post he/she maintains the thought of
a user in his/her mind that how a user can know it.

Therefore that's why this post is perfect. Thanks!

Also visit my web page :: http://www.moria.cz/wiki/index.php?title=Islamic_Clothing_For_Women

Anonymous said...

Good site you have here.. It's difficult to find excellent writing like yours nowadays. I seriously appreciate people like you! Take care!!

My blog: simply click the up coming internet page

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. Keep posting such kind of information on your page.

Im really impressed by it.
Hi there, You have performed an incredible job. I'll definitely digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I'm
confident they will be benefited from this website.

my web blog pm-crm.me

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form