Friday, September 25, 2009

Five Fun Facts for Friday!

Nebraska Cornhusker Logo 1. When the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers play football at home to a sellout crowd, the stadium becomes the state's third largest city. (Wow, Nebraskans must really love their football if enough of them get together to make the 3rd largest city in the state! Go Huskers!) :)

2. The metal part of a lamp that surrounds the bLamp Black and Whiteulb and    supports the shade is called a harp. (I wonder which got their name first, this or the instrument? And, I wonder if you rubbed the metal if it would sound like a harp?)

Washington State 3. Point Roberts in Washington State is cut off from the rest of the state by British Columbia, Canada. If you wish to travel from Point Roberts to the rest of the state or vice versa, you must pass through Canada, including Canadian and U.S. customs. (Boy I bet that’s a pain having to go through customs each time. Crazy that it’s part of the states even though you have to go through Canada, weird.) :)

4. The phrase "sleep tight" originated when mattresses were set upon ropes woven through the bed frame. ToBed Clip Art remedy sagging ropes, one would use a bed key to tighten the rope. (And I thought my mattress was uncomfortable. Mattresses sure have come a long way!) :)

5. A baby oyster is called a spat. (Too funny!) :)Oyster Clip Art

Three Bonus Facts!

Cow with Pink Bow*A Holstein's spots are like fingerprints -- no two cows  have the same pattern of spots. (I bet that’s helpful to the CSI’s if they suspect one of murder.) :)

Thread Black Red White Clip Art *According to the ceremonial customs of Orthodox Judaism, it is officially sundown when you cannot tell the difference between a black thread and a red one. (What if your color blind?) :)

*Shrimps' hearts are in their heads. (What a trip!) :)Heart Red Clip Art

Today’s facts were provided by: Deb & Jen’s Land O Uselless Facts!

11 comments:

La Belle Mere UK said...

Wow! I love your Friday factoids!!

LBM xxx

Mesina said...

Wow, what interesting little tidbits! The sleep tight thing was interesting, I love seeing where phrases come from! x

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

Always fun to get a little trivial education.

Hope you have a great weekend. (visiting from SITS).

- Margaret

Karen said...

Those are some very fun facts!

Hope you're having a great weekend!

Angela said...

LBM-So glad you enjoy!

Mesina-I too like knowing where our little common day phrases originated, and I never would've guessed the origin of sleep tight!

Nanny Goats in Panties-I couldn't agree more!

Karen-I'm glad you liked!

MamaOtwins+1 said...

I am going to start calling my kids spats. I laughed out loud when I read that!

It was so nice to log in and read all your comments today - I really appreciate them. It is like we are lost sisters. I am thinking about you now as I enjoy the cool fall breeze - on the other hand in 2 months I'll be hating the cold and wishing for Hawaii.

I still working on the layout of my blog - blogging is coming to me slowly - I just figured out how to change my reading list - and was able to put you on there.

Drahdrah said...

Hi Angela, very interesting and funny facts ! Thanks for stopping by today. I'm trying to do the meme (Things I love) every Sunday, so join in whenever you can. Thanks for following.

Theta Mom said...

I never knew a baby oyster is called a spat! LOL
Thanks so much for the kind words you left on my blog. I love to meet new bloggers, so I am glad you stopped by my place because now I found yours! Looking forward to returning. :)

leigh said...

Thanks for bestowing so many little facts my way. Mostly, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such great comments. You are just way too kind.

I'm following you now. It's official-we're Blog friends!

XO
Leigh

Mammatalk said...

In their heads? You're kidding??

Sandra Annedore said...

Oh I love love love love your blog. I'll definitely stop by more often. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form