Friday, September 4, 2009

A Day at Work

Running girl Clip Art Working at a Thrift Shop probably doesn’t sound like much work, but it really is.  From the time I arrive until the time I leave I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off! 

My job as the “Donations Display Coordinator and Volunteer’s Supervisor is to make sure the donations (merchandise) is always stocked and in aesthetically pleasing way, and to manage the volunteers by assigning them tasks and supervising their work.  Essentially I’m coordinating the efforts of many people and running the floor assisting customers, keeping things stocked, and arranging/rearranging donations as they come in all the day long. 

The Thrift Shop on our post is very popular, especially since we’re only open two days a week.  You would be amazed at how many people are waiting there each morning for theShopping woman clip art doors to open and how busy we stay the entire time we’re open.  Total insanity, tons of people cramped in a tight space trying to find the best bargains before somebody else snatches them up!  Honestly it more often than not reminds me of shopping on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving when most stores have mad sales marking the beginning of the intense Christmas shopping season). 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not “hard” work, but it’s definitely busy and physically demanding work, as I’m constantly lifting items that range from not so heavy to I have to find my inner “Wonder Woman” because they’re ridiculously heavy! Also, since it’s always summer here in tropical Hawaii, I swear I sweat my body weight off in the first couple of hours of the Hot smiley face day!  It’s so very hot and even better, ha-ha, humid in the store, especially in the back donations area, that I sweat more than a whore in church on Sunday! This by the way, is not the ideal environment for a girl with no eyebrows who has to draw them on daily.  Sweat is like my arch nemesis!  In an effort to avoid walking around the store with half an eyebrow on one side and a smeared eyebrow on the other I’m continually asking the girls I work with if I’m still the owner of two full eyebrows.

Despite all the chaos and the buckets of sweat, I love mTeamwork Clip Art y job.  The girls I work with are awesome, most of the  volunteers are truly amazing and absolutely generous with their time and their labor, and I love interacting with the customers too!  At the end of the day even though I’m usually in a ton of Stick Woman Clip Art pain, and can hardly walk upright due to my bad back, I have a tremendous sense of accomplishment, and this might sound weird, but a sense of peace.  I really feel like I’ve put in a good day’s work, it’s a great feeling. 

5 comments:

gaelikaa said...

Terrific post, Angela, I really dig your writing style, you are so honest! Listen, if you have a second, can you please drop over to my second blog @ url gaelikaasdiary.blogspot.com because I have an award for you!

Anne said...

My mom and sister both worked at a thrift store. from the stories I've heard I think it's hard work!!

Clueless_Mama said...

I loved that post. My mom has to draw her eyebrows on too. Her sister shaved them off of her when she was little and they never grew back.

~*~ Melissa ~*~ said...

I volunteered in a thrift shop for about a week and it was a lot of work.

Angela said...

Gaelikaa-Again many thanks for the award and for your sweet compliments! :)

Anne-It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

Clueless_Mama-Thank you, I'm so glad you liked it! Again, I'm glad I'm not the only one lacking in the eyebrows department! :)

Melissa-Good for you for volunteering! Volunteers make the world go round! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form