Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Check it Out: Eastwick

Eastwick Today, thanks to my handy dandy DVR, I watched the premiere of the new series “Eastwick” on ABC. It originally aired last Wednesday, but I hadn’t had a chance to watch it until today, and the first episode did not disappoint.

Intrigued by the promos, I was very excited to check this one out! As a fan of the original movie (which was actually based on the book by John Updike), I knew there was some serious potential in creating a series around it, and props to Maggie Friedman for taking the reigns and doing just that. The setting is the very quaint and small New England town of Eastwick. The story (for those of you who aren’t familiar with it) centers around three strangers: Kat (Jaime Ray Newman, Joanna (Lindsay Price) and Roxanne (Rebecca Romijn), who meet one day after making a wish at a fountain at the exact same moment and become friends. Soon after a handsome, rich and quite charming (albeit a little evil-but we’re not supposed to really know that yet) man, Darryl Van Horne (Paul Gross), moves into town.

He then begins wooing each of the girls, who at times have their reservations about him but are enchanted by him none the less. The nuts and bolts of the story lie in that each of the girls has certain powers which become more evident throughout the show, and that the wish they made not only binds them together but starts a chain reaction of a series of events that unleash magic and trouble throughout Eastwick, with Darryl Van Horne at the center of the Mayhem.

I thoroughly enjoyed this pilot, as it was both interesting and  entertaining! It had a quick pace that kept the plot moving forward while introducing new elements simultaneously and seamlessly.  Each of the actors brought somethiEastwick Rebecca Romijnng to their character that made me like them more than those in the actual movie. That’s saying something considering I don’t particularly care for Rebecca Romijn in general, but her performance was not only solid, but dare I say, good? I think so.

So, if you’re looking for something new to watch on Wednesday nights, or if you just like things of a witchy-supernatural nature (like me) then I highly recommend you check this one out!

Eastwick Aunt

 

PS-If you want to see this episode, it’s available to view on ABC’s website!

3 comments:

Mesina said...

Oh I haven't seen this advertised yet! I will check it out if and when it ever hits the UK.

I had the priviledge in seeing The Witches of Eastwick at the theatre in London at the West End a few years back. It was simply divine on stage! x

Rachael said...

I loved the movie with Jack Nicholson, and the book is quite good too!

I have thought about checking the series out...sounds like it was pretty entertaining ;-)

MamaOtwins+1 said...

OHH- I was dying to watch this show- but missed it. After reading your post I have to make sure not to miss it again.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form