Monday, September 21, 2009

Are you a junkie?

Facebook Image Bad things are happening over at my house.  Some of you might recall a post I wrote a about a month ago about how I finally caved and got a Facebook account.  I had resisted doing this for a very long time, my feeling being that since I blog and tweet, how many public online venues does one person need, seriously?  In the end I caved, not for me, but for my blog.  I wanted to start a fan page to help promote it, and couldn’t do so without starting a page for me first.  That seemingly innocent and otherwise innocuous act has lead me down a dark path, one I fear there is no return from.  I have become a Facebook junkie.

The concept of Facebook to connect with friends old (those you knew long ago and lost touch with--as tends to happen in life) and new (even those living in the apartment directly below you) is a simple one, in fact the brilliance lies is in that simplicity.  You then get to write “status” updates which publish to your “wall” and allow all the people you have have established as “friends” through friend requests.  Your status updates can be literally about everything and anythingTwitter Icons and like Twitter (only longer) can provide a nice little mini-blog.  For me however, the addiction was born of another element of the Facebook experience, the applications.  In fact a reader of my blog was even kind enough to warn me about these devilish little things saying, “Soon enough you'll get pulled into the quizzes and applications and all time wasting things too.”  If only I had listened, I had no idea how prophetic her words were.

It started slowly and innocently.  A few quizzes here, a few simple apps there, little did I know these were “gateway” applications, leading me closer and closer to the hard stuff.  SuperPoke Dog The first application that began to eek up oodles of time was, “SuperPoke Pets.”  In this one you get to adopt an animal and then give it a cute place to live called a “habitat.”  The more you play with your pet, feed it, clean it, and tickle it, the more points you get.  You can even have play dates with your friends pets for more points.  Oh, and let me not forget to mention the part of the app that wastes most of my time, “Petsketball.”  In the section of the appPetsketball called the “Arcade” you will find two more ways to earn points, one of which is a basketball game where your pet attempts to make as many shots in a moving basket in a designated amount of time.  Not only do you get the opportunity to earn more points here, but you can also earn badges, and badges are typically high honor in the Facebook app world.  Ultimately the more points you acquire, the further you climb through the different levels of the game.  You also get to buy new habitats and cute new things to put in those habitats with your points.  A fun way to shop when your low on cash and the mall is out of the question.  This app was I love SuperPoke particularly dangerous for me because for about the last year or so I’ve really wanted a dog, but since me and the hubs can’t agree on the size and kind, it’s been indefinitely put on hold.  This app was a way to channel those maternal urges for a pet. :)

“SuperPoke Pets” was only the beginning, because tonight it lead to “Mafia Wars.”  Since I joined Facebook I noticed the different “Mafia Wars” alerts and announcements of my friends achievements.  It sounded fun, and I was curious, but it wasn’t until one friend sent me a request to join the game that I finally decided to see what it was all about.  “Mafia Wars” like the title suggests gives you a chance to play like your Tony Soprano.  I’m not going to go into the details ofMafia Wars 1 the game because I’d be writing all night, and since I spent the better part of the last four hours playing it’s already 1:30 in the morning, and I’d like to go to bed before my alarm goes off at 5:00, but I will say that it is absolutely and completely addictive. 

As if things weren’t already bad, and getting horribly out of Vampire Wars 1 control, I then stumbled upon “Vampire Wars” from the maker of “Mafia Wars” and with a very similar interface and objective, but instead of being in a mob family, your a vampire in a clan.  This was the absolute worse app I could’ve found considering my odd and often macabre fascination with vampires.  Needless to say I was totally sucked in, no pun intended.  :)

So, upon finding these two apps I then spent the rest of the night going back and forth between the two.  This system  worked really well, because just about the time I’d run out of “energy” (the mechanism by which you can make your character do things) for one game, I’d switch to the other so it could rebuild and then vice versa.  I had so much fun I managed to get to Level 6 in “Vampire Wars” and Level 8Clock Clip Art in “Mafia Wars.”  I also added numerous badges and trophies to my characters.  Like I said, these are so over the top addicting that at this rate I’ll be looking for a 12 step program next week.  (Which reminds me if anyone knows of a 12 step program for blogging would you please let me know, thanks.) :)

None of this bodes well for my husband, who was already despising Twitter and all that consists of is tiny 140 character updates.  I fear now for the life and safety of my laptop, I’m afraid he’s going to take it and hold it hostage for the ransom of one home cooked meal and a load of clean socks. :)

Housework Won't Kill You

Like I said at the beginning of this post, there are bad things going on over at my house.  An act to further my blogging addiction lead to creating an entirely different one.  As a  result, I’m quickly coming to terms with the fact that I’m a Facebook junkie, are you?  If so, which apps have spawn your addiction?  I’d love to know that I’m not alone in this, and besides there’s safety in numbers. :)

6 comments:

Drama queens mum (Kimberly) said...

Hi. I hate Facebook. I am on there since everyone left myspace (my addiction) to join FB. I'm addicted to blogging, reading blogs & leaving comments.

Amanda {My Life Badly Written} said...

I sooo got sucked into all the apps when I first went on facebook. I got rid of them all about a year ago and now just use it to see photos and read status updates. I am on twitter but am not loving it yet.

I like the idea of a fan page for my blog.

Good luck with all your apps!!!

StaceyC4 said...

I am a total FB junkie BUT I don't use any of the Apps you mentioned, I am more of a scrabble, bejeweled, tri-tower solitaire lunatic. Either way, I'm on there WAY too much!

AVCr8teur said...

Don't feel bad, I resisted too until I succumbed to it last January. I got to reconnect with friends from elementary school and high school so I guess it isn't that bad. Now I wonder why aren't more of my friends on there.

Todd & Alisa Wren said...

Well, I can gladly say that I have avoided the apps. on facebook. I just check status updates and pictures, and that's about the extent of my facebook adventures. Be strong, sister.

Robin said...

I used to be a junkie, but then it got blocked at work, that quickly cured me.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form