Sunday, August 9, 2009

New Crochet Projects

For my fellow “hookers” out there, I don’t know if this ever happens to you, where you get a new pattern, and after investing a good chunk of time on it, about half-way through you realize, it’s just not working out.  So, you try another new pattern, only for the same scenario to repeat itself, over and over again.  It’s a maddening cycle that makes you want to pull out your hair! 

This is exactly what happened to me last night and needless to say, I hate it when this happens!  It’s so frustrating because you waste so much time and get nothing in return!!!  I tried like 6 new patterns and for one reason or another none of them worked out!  I don’t know if it was faulty pattern writing or faulty pattern following, but I’d be willing to bet it was a little bit of both.

Totally frustrated, and not wanting the whole night to be a complete waste, I abandoned the new pattern ship. and just use some of the patterns I normally use, when inspiration struck.  I decided to play around with an idea I’d had somewhere in the evening around the time I was trying pattern #6.  To my amazement, it actually worked, and the result was a completely original hat by me!!  Too bad, I didn’t right down what I was doing, so I don’t have a pattern to share, but I plan on duplicating it in different colors and when I do, I’ll make sure to take note and post it here.  It’s not the best hat in the world, but hey it was a little more complicated than the last hat I designed and you have to start somewhere!

Orig Hat G1

Orig Hat Flat

Inspired with the success of this hat, I made two more!  Both were for babies and using the same pattern I just sort of threw together. 

Bl Cot Hat

Blue Multi Bby Hat G

Here’s the pattern.  Note that using cotton, as in the first picture, gives it a different look than using acrylic. 

Great Charity Hat Pattern

Materials

  • Worsted weight yarn
  • K hook

Directions

  • Chain 3
  • Round 1: 14 DC in 3rd chain from hook, join with slip stitch
  • Round 2: Chain 2, DC in same stitch, 2 DC in each stitch around, join with slip stitch
  • Round 3: Chain 2, HDC in same stitch, HDC in each stitch around, join with slip stitch
  • Round 4: Chain 1: SC in same stitch, SC in each stitch around, join with slip stitch
  • Round 5: Chain 2, DC in same stitch, DC in each stitch around, join with slip stitch
  • Round 6: Chain 2, HDC in same stitch, HDC in each stitch around, join with slip stitch
  • Round 7: Chain 1, SC in same stitch, SC in each stitch around, join with slip stitch
  • Round 8: Chain 2. DC in same stitch, DC in each stitch around, join with slip stich
  • Round 9: Chain 2, HDC in same stitch, HDC in each stitch around, join with slip stitch
  • Round 10: Chain 1, SC in same stitch, chain 1, *single crochet in next stitch, chain 1* repeat from * to * around, join with slip stitch
  • Fasten off

This hat is really easy and very quick to make, perfect for charity projects (hence the name) where you want to turn out a large number of hats as quick as possible!!

13 comments:

Bentley Boutique said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! Those hats turned out so cute:)I do all kinds of crafts, but haven't crocheted in years. I do remember that it was very relaxing.

Julie said...

I love those little hats! I used to sorta know how to crochet a million years ago, but can't remember now (old age, ya know)

Dreamgirl said...

Very cute!

Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Monday! Hope you'll have a great week too...

bluecottonmemory said...

What great hats! I'm a knitter. My favorite hat book is itty bitty hats! That are sooo cute!

Kitty said...

Those are so cute! I love the colors. I wish I could do something crafty like this. I really want to learn to knit or something.

Lisa Anne said...

I love those hats!! So i finished my sisters keeper. OMG what a twist. I so was not expecting that.

Hey i'm not sure if it's me, though i'm not having any trouble on any other site. But your page takes a really, really long time to load and it locks up. Just thought i'd let you know, but it could be my connection.

Debbie said...

Those hats are so cute! They look similar to some that I made a few years ago for children with cancer. Great idea!

Stepfanie said...

Hi! Visiting from SITS! You have a very lovely blog!

I'm having 2 giveaways on my blog, enter them here at www.stepfaniestimeout.com

Patty said...

I used to crochet. I crocheted (is that how you write it?) a blanket for my nephew when he was born. That was 11 years ago.

Thanks for visiting my blog. And for showing Ruby the love!

Crazy in Alaska said...

Another crocheter! I love the hats! Inspires me to pull out the afghan from the craft basket where it's been staring at me for months....

Mommys Online Garage Sale said...

Stopping by from SITS to say Hi.

All I can say is "been there, done that". The hats look great.

Ash and Becky said...

Very cute! I haven't crocheted for a while, but have taken up knitting recently. I have totally torn apart almost completed hats because they just didn't look right so I totally understand! You did an awesome job!

Anne said...

It's the same way with sewing..I havn't really gotten into the pattern following stage with crochet; but I still know the feeling..but I go back and rip up my stitches just crocheting a blanket...my crochet friends tell me do the frog ribbit ribbit (rip) it! It is a pain.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form