Thursday, August 20, 2009

Accepted

BU Logo Oh happy day! I just found that I was accepted to Boston University!!! This is the news I had been waiting for to make my final decision about where I would be finishing my bachelor’s degree. I am so beyond excited!  I have a student ID number and everything! :)

It’s such a great school, with a stellar reputation! It’s a top   100 school coming in at #54 in the US News and WorldBU Lake Photo Report  ranking, and in a world schools ranking done by academic types in came in at #40 of 400! It’s also got the #20 law school in the nation!

Those of you who have read my other blog, know I really did  not want to go to online school.  However, given my current situation and not knowing where we will be from one day to the next (gotta love the military life) I felt it was my bestBU Historic     option to ensure I would be able to complete my degree in a timely fashion.

Thus began endless research on the validity and credibility of online degrees.  Throughout my search, I came across some very interesting information.  For example, online graduate degrees tend to have more credibility than undergraduate degrees.  The overall consensus on online bachelor’s degrees was this, it varies.  Depending on the online school in question and the graduate school or employment opportunity you are applying for, it can either carry the same weight as a traditional school, or less.  The majority of resources I looked at, said online degrees from traditional schoolsBU Sidwalk Photo that happen to have an online degree program are the best way to go.  The reason?  Because these schools do not differentiate between their online or traditional programs.  Case in point, my school (oh, how I love saying that), Boston University and other schools like New York University and many of the Universities of California offer online bachelor’s degree programs and once you graduate, you are simply a graduate of that institution.  I cannot wait to go to graduation in Boston!

This is of particular value to me considering my bachelor’s degree is just another step towards my ultimate goal of goingBU Fall Phototo law school and becoming an attorney.  Having a degree from BU will put me in a prime position to apply to the kind of law schools I so desperately want to attend, the ivies. 

Even if I end up going to BU’s law school, I can’t go wrong.  After all they are #20 in the country! Also, being a BU alumnus would be in my favor when applying to their law school. 

BU Lake pic My degree will be an interdisciplinary degree in Liberal Studies focusing on the natural sciences, social sciences, and humanities.  It is a philosophy based degree, which will also bode well for me in my pursuit of law school, as those with a philosophy undergrad degree, typically score very well on the LSAT.  The only drawback is the cost of going to BU, a selective, private university, which will run me about 39K.  Steep, but in the long term totally worth it!

I was looking at the course schedule today, and I was both excited and a little nervous.  Ok, truth be told I sort of wanted puke.  This program will be challenging.  They’re absolutely amazing classes (perfect for me and the kinds of  Boston skyline at night things I love to study), and they will definitely help prepare me for law school and practicing law, but I have a feeling they will be difficult to say the least!  While I had a 4.0 at the community college (EA) I attended and was in the top 4% of my class there, this a totally different ball game and I’m scared to death (in a good way)! :)

It’s kind of surreal actually.  I worked so hard for 2 years  while at EA, then I had to take a yBoston University at Nightear off when we moved to Hawaii.  In the early spring I filed my FAFSA and began my research while seeing how things would go for us and the Army.  Now a year and a few months later, what I wanted more than anything when I left EA, to transfer to a stellar university, has actually happened, and I can hardly believe it’s real.  BU watch out, because here I come!

BU Logo 3

15 comments:

Luke & Erica said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you. When do courses start. It will be tough, but I know you can handle it!!

Joby said...

Oh well done you, I bet you cant stop smiling. Really pleased for you.

Jo Bryan
XX

La Belle Mere UK said...

Well done Angela!

Congratulations.

LBM Xxxxx

Michaela said...

Congrats!!! You sound so excited it's great!!

Thanks for stopping by and your sweet words. Your blog is really cute! Please feel free to stop by anytime.

Mammatalk said...

Congratulations. That is quite the accomplishment.

Visiting from SITS! :+) Best wishes.

Angela said...

Erica - Thanks sweetie! Courses Start Sept 2nd! :)

Joby - Thanks for your support! You're so right I cannot stop smiling! :) See, case in point!

La Belle Mere - Thank YOU for stopping by again and your support!

Angela said...

Michaela - Do I sound excited? Huh, I wasn't sure it would come through. LOL! Thanks for your support! You're so welcome, I LOVED your blog and I'm so happy you find mine cute as well! I will so be back and I hope you'll be back to mine! :)

Mamatalk - Thank you for your support SITSsta! I'm so glad you came by! I'm off to see what's happening on your blog! :)

Bentley Boutique said...

Congratulations!! And your journey begins. Enjoy every minute of it!

Mammatalk said...

Thank you for the wonderful comments you left on my blog. I love your intelligent writing style and your ambition. Looking forward to reading more here!

Angela said...

Bentley Boutique - I will definitely relish every minute of the BU experience-even it is from afar (via online)! At least I say that now, but half-way through when I'm super stressed, I'm sure I'll start praying for it to be over! :) Thanks for your support!

Mamatalk - I'm so glad you enjoyed my blog and I hope you find time to stop by often! I've already been back to your blog this morning! :) What can I say, I'm totally addicted!

Bunny B said...

Woohoo!! Congrats! I'm sure you're gonna do well there :))
xx

Anne said...

WOW! congratulations! I can't wait to go back to school!

Jessi said...

Congratulations that is amazing.

Linda said...

Congrats! I am sure that you will love BU! Boston is a great city.

Angela said...

Many, many, thanks to everyone for your wonderfully sweet and supportive comments! I appreciate them so much!!! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form