Thursday, July 23, 2009

Clarity of Night Writing Contest

Today the winners were announced for the Clarity of Night "In Vino Veritas" Short Fiction Contest I recently entered.  While I did not place, I was bestowed with another honor. 

The contest was judged using PETS Voice.  Up to 10 points are awarded for each of the following elements:

  • pacing
  • entertainment value
  • technical use of language
  • storytelling

Then up to 5 points are awarded for uniqueness of voice.  This makes a grand total of 45 points possible.

The impact of this system is to score writing technique higher than the underlying story.  According to Jason Evans, the blog owner, host and judge of this contest, the reason why he takes this approach is because stories are everywhere, but the skill to make a story come alive on the page is far more rare.

Entries scoring at least 40 out of 45 in his scoring system are inducted into The Forties Club.  He states:

In my judgement, these writers have done their job excellently.  Their strong, skilled writing brought their stories to life."

He also says that this contest had more perfect scores and near perfect scores than any other Clarity of Night writing contest, and that, "The new inductees into The Forties Club have schooled us well in excellent writing."

I was one of those new inductees!  Needless to say I'm totally excited by this honor!  Having my writing recognized by a published author in this way is the best feeling ever!  I was really intimidated to enter this contest due to the level of talent I was competing with, but I'm so glad I did and I'm really happy with the way it worked out!  Given that this is my first writing contest, I couldn't have asked for a better result! 

The stats on this contest were pretty amazing too.  The 158 entries generated 41,582 hits from 11,589 unique visitors.  Unbelievable!

In case you want to check out my story for yourself, here is the link:

Nerves and Secrets: A Confessional Tale -- By: Angela Norton

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form