Saturday, April 18, 2009

Welcome to the World of Tarot!

Have you ever had a tarot reading? Are you curious as to how it works? This is the first in a series of posts on learning more about the tarot and becoming a reader yourself! I have been reading tarot cards for the last four years, and I absolutely adore it! It has brought so much insight into my life and allowed me to help others in both good times and bad.

My own experiences reading the cards have taught me that while they can and do predict events to come, more often than not, it is simply a tool to help you figure out what you already know but are ignoring or avoiding it for whatever reason. The tarot has been used as a tool of divination for centuries. There are numerous tarot decks, but for the purpose of this series, I will focus on the Rider Waite deck which is the one I use. In the I hope to explore some of the tarot decks available, but for now lets start with the basics.

The picture on each Tarot card is extremely important. They are loaded in symbolism. The meanings for each card are reflected in it's picture. You can learn a lot just by studying the pictures closely. In fact Silver Ravenwolf one of my favorite witches and authors of all things magickal said in her book "Solitary Witch" that when she teaches the tarot she doesn't allow her students to read any books on the subject for the first three weeks of training. Instead she has them focus on what they can learn intuitively by working with and studying the cards. You may want to try this by browsing pictures of the cards on the web, then later you can compare the meanings you deciphered to those that I post here.

The tarot is comprised of 78 cards; 22 of which are considered "Major Arcana" and the remaining 56 are "Minor Arcana". Within the Minor Arcana are four different suits: Swords, Cups, Wands, and Pentacles. First we will focus on the cards. Later we will move on to different types of spreads and tips on interpreting the cards within those spreads.

The first card in the deck is "The Fool". It symbolizes beginnings, turning new over a new leaf, potential, and childlike innocence. It is usually indicative of happy things to come. The only warning I usually give with this card is to make sure you're head isn't so far in the clouds that you step off a cliff, as the picture demonstrates.

RW Tarot The Fool

The second card in the deck is "The Magician". It symbolizes the power to manifest thought into form. Not like I'm thinking of an apple, poof, there it is, but more like thinking I want a raise, and then making the choices and taking the actions which will make it happen. The Magician also represents skill, creative mastery, and time to seize opportunities.

RW Tarot The Magician

The next installment of this series will include The High Priestess (one of my favorite cards), The Empress, and The Emperor.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form