Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Book Lovers Unite!

Shelftari 1

OMG! I just found the best website ever for book enthusiasts like myself! It's called Shelfari and it's totally rocking my world right now. I actually heard about it through the Spouse's Club I belong to. It was in an article written by our book club in our monthly newsletter. They described it as a MySpace for people who like to read and couldn't stop with the praise about it. At the time, I have to admit (shamefully) I was like, what's the big deal? It's a site about books, and while I love them and all, how could that really be as fun as she's making it out to be. What a fool I was. Curiosity peaked, I checked it out, and within minutes I was hooked.

You start my building your bookshelf. You can either choose your books manually, or have Shelfari pre-populate it with books for you. At first I thought this would be both daunting and time consuming, but before long I had accumulated over a hundred books on my shelf! Some I've read in the past, some I'm reading now, and others that I want to read in the future. You can rate them, write reviews on them, and mark your favorites. I talk books a lot with both my sister, Erica, and my BFF, Tommy, and I always feel so stimulated after one of these conversations. Shelfari is like that but on steroids! It was so fun!!!! I now have a place to share my views and opinions on books with other people who share the same passion about them as I do, anytime I feel like it! I didn't even know I was sub-consciously longing for a place to do just that, until I found Shelfari.

You can also network with other reading fanatics by joining reading groups, or even creating your own; and of course there's always the ever popular (thanks to MySpace) "Friends" list, which works similarly by inviting and approving friend requests . Also, people post questions like, "Should I read Twilight? Does it live up to all the hype?" which you can respond to. In fact this was one of the features that drew me in because I was able to immediately post my responses without having to create a long drawn out profile. Speaking of profiles when I did get around to doing mine, I was pleasantly surprised to find that all you have to do is post a blurb "About Me" and not bother with the other, oft time superfluous profile categories like "who I'd like to meet", "blood type" (are you kidding me?), etc.

If you're the type of person that can go into a book store and pass the hours like minutes then this is a site you should definitely check out.

Shelfari Website Link

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That is so awesome! I'm going to go sign up. Never heard about it but you convinced me. So how will I go about friending you on there?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form