Thursday, February 19, 2009

Do you think what you think you think?



I recently bought a book called "Do You Think What You Think You Think" (the title alone made it worth purchasing). It challenges you to contemplate whether you really believe what you think you believe. Through a series of small tests, you map out your belief system (I know this may sound rather daunting, but in reality, all you have to do is answer their questions) then, once it's scored it will point out any inconsistencies it has detected based on your answers. For example I believe A and I believe B, but they contradict each other, so what gives? I of course thought this does not apply to me, my reasoning and belief structure are completely sound, right? Wrong. Oh how wrong I was. Initially I was rather distraught. I mean basically this book was calling me a big fat liar and hypocrite, but once I got past the defensive phase, I began more closely examining the beliefs my life is built upon, and have come to some positive conclusions that have brought me to a much happier place.

Case in point, two of my fundamental beliefs are:
  1. Everything happens for a reason.
  2. Things always have a way of working themselves out for the best.
However even though these are the primary governing ideals of my life, I constantly found myself stressing about the events of my life, or potential and possible events that may happen to me and consequently come into my life. This we all know is a completely futile process, as even the most psychic person in the world, cannot possibly conceive of every possible situation that may arise. Still, time and time again I would find myself endlessly agonizing about imagined scenarios which had not even happened, but might, and therefore got my attention. Many of these were not even probable events, simply possible, and spending hours mulling over the details of such can be a truly maddening experience.

One day (shortly after reading this book) I realized, if I truly believe things happen for a reason and that they will work themselves out, then why do I worry so much? I didn't have an answer. I stopped and put both of these beliefs under a microscope, really examining them, and came to the firm and resolute conclusion, that yes, I absolutely, unequivocally believe them, and if I in fact believe them, then I should go forth with faith in them. From that point on I stopped worrying so much, particularly about non-existent events. Anytime something came up to cause a moments pause, or worry, I would allow myself to feel any emotion that went along with it, made a game plan as to how to deal with it, then, I let it go. The peace of my new knowledge aided me tremendously in this process.

What do you believe? Does it conflict with other ideals you have? If you're curious to find out, I recommend checking out "Do You Think What You Think You Think" it could inspire a positive life changing chain of events.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Contact Me

Contact Form